jueves, 15 de julio de 2010

Review: Toy Story 3

(WARNING: SPOILERS AHEAD)



Oh sure, they look happy now. 
Once the music starts rolling, though...


It's easy to make me cry.



Not physically, that's too easy.


I cry when a movie hits me in a personal way. I cried during two movies featuring dogs (Marley and Me and Hachi) because they remembered me about my best dog, who died a year and a half ago.

Even when the critics showered the first two movies of the Toy Story franchise with praise, I always saw them as less emotional than their later works, such as UP and Wall-E. Thus, I had expected to see a funny movie, more on the side of comedy than drama.

I was wrong, and how!

Had this movie been made by a different, dramatic, summer-blockbuster studio, the slogan would have been "Your Time Has Come". Because here, we find that our toy protagonists, whose previous enemies were a mean kid and a stealing, obsessive fatman, are now pitted against an enemy that they cannot defeat: Time.



There's a big antagonist leap between this loser and a force of nature.


Oh sure, we have an on-screen enemy, but Lotso the Bear turns out to be a featherweight when we compare it to the main problem: Their child and master, Andy, is now a man. And adults don't play with toys.

The movie is beautiful, and a fantastic comedy, as expected from Pixar, but the overall sensation is one of sadness. For even after many adventures where the heroes have managed to escape their imprisonment and later destruction, we know that Woody, Buzz, and Co. won't be able to turn back the clock to the good ol' times when they were the first in Andy's life.

Eventually, things get somehow resolved. Andy gives his toys to a good child, and thus starts what I feel is one of the most sad and beautiful scenes Pixar has given us: One last session where both he and the girl play with them, the beginning of the gang's adventures with their new master, and the tearful goodbye for Andy.

We all know that life is short, and all good things must pass. But this movie shows us something else: The good times you spend as a child do not pass away, but are passed on.



1 comentario:

Anónimo dijo...

Hola!

Okay that's all the Spanish I really know how to type on this computer. I just wanted to say I thought your review was very good and I agree it's not really about Lotso at all. I almost cried during the movie and you could see how much Andy would miss his friends.

I love your Calvin and Hobbes image.

Buenos Tardes!