miércoles, 15 de septiembre de 2010

The Fire Works

After my last post, I think a get-me-up entry is necessary. Today is the bicentennial anniversary of Mexico's Independence (actually, this is the most important mexican holiday, not the 5 de Mayo as widely believed).

The date isn't right, the heroes were flawed humans, a lot of the stories about the Independence are myths, and the results two hundred years later are debatable.

I have seen my country ravaged by war, its authorities and government stripped of all respect because of their corruption. Illegal immigration into the U.S. is still a huge problem. The youth in Mexico has to deal with very poor education and resources, and even worse economy and security. The value of respect and honesty is going down very quickly.

Regardless, we celebrate.

My country is not, has never been, and never will be perfect. But it has given me and many others a home, education, and work. I have met so many good people, I have seen so many good deeds, that I will continue working and fighting for this country, until I am forced otherwise.

This is Mexico's own Fourth of July, and as the fireworks illuminate the sky, we all have to see that light in the middle of darkness.


No hay comentarios: