viernes, 3 de septiembre de 2010

Shaping up the Novel

My novel is progressing, but it needs a lot of adjustments. For example, the title. Is there anything more childish and stupid than "The Magic Extinction"? And that's the overall trilogy title.

The ones I've come up with for each books are possibly worse. The first book's working title is "The Heirs of Magic". The second one, "Vigerens Fall" (I actually like that one. It's a wordplay). The third one I haven't even thought of. I'm putting all of my mediocrity batteries on the first book for the moment.

The novel, as you might have already guessed from the titles, is a fantasy. Not a medieval fantasy, though, which seems to be the standard for about 75% of fantasy novels out there. And it's not precisely an urban fantasy. The world it's set in has a little modern technology in the western continent, and much moe advanced in the eastern one. That's because of the two races living on them, mages and non-mages, respectively.

There are no elves, dwarves, dragons, unicorns or even horsies here. There are two "magic" swords, and both of them are destroyed by the end of the second book. There are no kings or princesses, o orphan farmboys, no evil chancellors, no dark towers of the evil, evil wizards.

It's the story of a world as it faces it's armaggeddon. It's also the story of a young man who learns his place in the world. There are but two characters I'd call "evil" in the entire story, and they're very human, cruel, and ruthless, and perhaps because of that, more dangerous and harmful than any dark overlord sitting on a dark tower. The true antagonists are forces of nature, beyond good or evil.

It might sound very pretentious, but I assure you that I just want to tell my story. I only hope it's written well enough so that few readers will put it down before finishing it.

No hay comentarios: